Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Some thoughts on Ray

I would like to attempt to articulate the place in my heart that is awakened when I listen to Ray LaMontagne.  Forgive me if I ramble a bit, this one comes out a bit like a journal entry.
For those of you who are not familiar with this name, he is a singer/songwriter from New Hampshire.   His lyrics are so profound and have this magical quality to them of painting an image of healing and understanding which often can not be found organically within one's own mind.   Certain tracks come to mind for me when going through hard times in life (like break-ups, school stress, and general life stress) such as Old Before Your Time off of God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise, title track off of Til the Sun Turns Black, and Empty off of same record.  It is the former track which inspired this post for it is highly empathetic in my view of my life;  I've spent many days and nights wondering what it is that lies ahead of me and who will be there when I arrive, ignoring the fact that I am the one who matters when I arrive.  The quotation "Through the years I've known my share of broken hearted fools, 
'n those who couldn't choose a path worth takin'. 
There's nothin' in the world so sad as talkin' to a man. 
Never knew his life was his for making."      
is the line in that, no matter how many times I've heard it and know when it comes, it hits me and opens my eyes wider to the pains of living without reason and without pleasure or learning.  There are many things in life we can not control and many of those things which don't seem to have reason but it is up to you to learn from them, coming out more resilient.  It is a fine balance between forming a tough skin to keep out the hurt from others which weakens and healing from those wounds, learning to recognize the people and places which breed the pain.  As I'm writing this I'm stuck between the soft words of Ray's song Winter Birds and the unyielding cackles of the people next to me at Starbucks.  I fear I've lost my inspiration and have also run  out of time so I leave, imparting an existential assignment:  
Take any album of his (I recommend Til the Sun Turns Black for it's tumultuous emotions) and take a couple hours for yourself to lay down somewhere peaceful and let the music and words envelope and seep into you.

Music which inspired this entry:

Artist                                                     Album
Ray LaMontagne                                 God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise
                                                           Gossip in the Grain
                                                           Til the Sun Turns Black

No comments:

Post a Comment